I have decided that maintaining a “gear I use” list may be less helpful to others than I originally imagined. There is a risk of reinforcing the notion that photography is about gear. It isn’t. Gear is not unimportant, but gear collecting for its own sake or a belief that the most important photography question are about gear can be unfortunate diversions from making photographs, which is the real point.
Contact me via the contact page or by email if you have questions or are interested in more information about my choices. If you are looking for more information here about gear, there are a few useful resources:
- The DEALS page lists a lot of current specials on various sorts of photography equipment, along with links to site affiliates such as B&H
- The ARTICLES page links to many of my posts that discuss gear.
Please do not misinterpret my recommendations as lists of The Very Best Photography Equipment That You Must Own. This is equipment that has served me well for the types of photography that I do, but different gear could be as good or better for your particular types of photography. For example:
- If you are just getting started with DSLR photography, I would generally recommend that you not go out and buy this stuff just because it is on my list.
- If your mix of photographic subjects is different than mine (which tend to be heavy on landscape and nature and night photography and some urban subjects, and light on portrait photography or event photography, etc.) then you might well want to look at other alternatives in some cases.
- If you tend toward somewhat more “informal” photography – e.g. not using a tripod, etc. – then other gear might make more sense.
- If you don’t print much or at all, some of what I have listed here could well be inappropriate for your needs, as it you quite likely don’t need full frame or expensive lenses.
- If you have a predilection for another brand, that is fine with me – I’m not a brand bigot!
G Dan Mitchell is a California photographer whose subjects include the Pacific coast, redwood forests, central California oak/grasslands, the Sierra Nevada, California deserts, urban landscapes, night photography, and more.
Blog | About | Flickr | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | 500px.com |LinkedIn | Email
Text, photographs, and other media are © Copyright G Dan Mitchell (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from G Dan Mitchell.